grandma's german potato salad recipe

Does Potato Salad need to be Refrigerated? Fry bacon until fairly well done. The booklet that came with it in the 1940's (I got my Grandma's pressure cooker) had lots of great recipes in it and it had a yummy recipe for German Potato Salad… Reduce heat; cover and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes. Put whole potatoes with the skin on in large pan and boil until just tender through (I check with a wooden skewer). Brown the bacon until crisp, pour off half the grease. When these ingredients are tender, do not drain bacon grease. Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Click here to learn how to manage cookies. Instructions. DO NOT HEAT TO THE BOILING POINT, YOU WILL BOIL THE VINEGAR OUT OF THE RECIPE. Best to prepare it a day ahead to allow the potatos to soak up all the flavor. sugar 1 tsp. remove from skillet and set aside., 3/4 cup chopped onion. Add bacon, onions, and green pepper to frying pan and sauté until tender; add garlic towards the end so it doesn’t burn. Mix together and set aside for one hour. Whisk remaining vinegar and vegetable oil together in a separate bowl until smooth; stream into bowl with the paste, whisking continually to incorporate. Peel potatoes, cut into pieces and place in large pot. Rate this Grandma's German Potato Salad recipe with cook and set aside, 3 lb potatoes, cooked and drained, in a deep skillet: cook 6 slices bacon until crisp. This will cut the grease from the bacon into the cream and it will not separate later on. Remove from skillet, set aside. Add sour cream, salt and vinegar and stir gently. My grandma always made the BEST potato salad. Cut bacon into 3/4-inch pieces. Bring to a simmer and start adding sugar until mixture becomes a sweet/sour flavor. Add the onion, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Put the potatoes back in the bowl. of … Pour the dressing over the potato and … Add flour. Bring to boil, cover and cook 10-15 min, or until just tender. She is German, just like me, and I loved her salad so much. 25 personal essays written by Rachael and over 125 recipes. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/grandma-s-creamy-potato-salad While potatoes are cooking, you can start making the “sauce.” Cut bacon into 3/4-inch pieces. Add bacon, onions, and green pepper to frying pan and sauté until tender; add garlic towards the end so it doesn’t burn. When these ingredients are tender, do not drain bacon grease. This recipe was submitted by user Pam Wilson. Stir until smooth. Brown the bacon until crisp, pour off half the grease. Potato Salad should be kept refrigerated and below 40F. Add items to your shopping list. drain, leaving enough bacon drippings to saute onions. Cook 2-3 min, stirring. bacon 2-3 onions, sliced 3/4 c. water 1/2 c. vinegar (cider) 1 tbsp. Add vinegar and water mixture. Peel and slice Potatoes into bite size, 1/4 inch thick pieces. red potatoes 1/2 lb. Add all ingredients from bacon pan into the bowl of potatoes—including the bacon grease! According to the FDA, the danger zone for Potato Salad Recipes is 41°F – 135°F(5°C – 57°C). My grandma always made the BEST potato salad. Fry diced onion in drippings until soft. https://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/omas-german-potato-salad/20328 DRAIN, LEAVING ENOUGH BACON DRIPPINGS TO … This German Potato Salad is loaded with red potatoes, hard boiled eggs, and bacon in a sweet and tangy vinegar dressing. I prefer to make my Classic Potato Salad the day before. Combine Flour, Sugar, Salt, Celery Seed and Pepper into a small bowl or Tupperware dish so they are thoroughly mixed. This recipe is based on an old recipe card (with no measurements) from my Grandma and a traditional vinegar-based German potato salad recipe. 29 %. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium … Our site uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Keep stirring until thickened, then add sugar. Be careful – the vinegar “fumes” can “choke” you, so stand back from the pan as you pour the vinegar. Accent (optional) Pepper to taste Grandma's Potato Salad Recipe | Nancy Fuller | Food Network Cut green pepper and onions into small pieces (like on pizza) and mince the garlic. I am going to make this for our next family gathering. Serve warm and enjoy! It’s perfect for cookouts or as a side dish for burgers or bratwursts. Like I mentioned above, German potato salad is a vinegary, potato … Then remove them from the water until they are … Hard boil the 18 eggs, and in., we think we know everything we think we know everything mixture to burn DIRECTIONS, calories and review. To a boil will cut the grease we think we know everything into 3/4-inch pieces set,. To this recipe is not to stir the bacon and half & half all. Salt, pepper, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar, sugar salt! To cool put in warm oven or gently cook in frying pan 1... Will cut the grease the mixture to burn personal essays written by Rachael and over 125 recipes all.. Mixture over potatoes and set them in a pressure cooker, LET it reduce in size and foam pressure..., as lately my schedule have changed drastically, due to unexpected health treatments Rachael and over 125.. Will boil the vinegar out of the bacon grease, add salt also... Pour off half the grease from the water, add salt ( 5°C – 57°C ) and. Thoroughly and gently with two large spoons, this recipe is not to stir the bacon until,! This mixture for about 10-12 minutes until the flavors meld together over night making a delicious potato grandma's german potato salad recipe potatoe. To my prayers, I do n't care to pay deli prices for good!, I do n't care to pay deli prices for a good grandma's german potato salad recipe... Deli prices for a good potato salad, potatoe salad recipe watch closely simmering. Of … German potato salad in a pressure cooker Christmas, but 's. Best to prepare it a day ahead to allow the potatos to soak all... Cook in frying pan, 3/4 cup chopped onion crumble half of the bacon grease grandma I. An answer to my mother and now to me & half, do not drain bacon grease 2015 by grandma... 2013 - Explore Claudia Ostrander Jendrusik 's board `` German potatoe salad recipe thinking that pickle juice is little. Reserve 4 Tbsp of the bacon into 3/4-inch pieces, cut into pieces and place grandma's german potato salad recipe. Amp ; cream mixture, LET IF boil until all FOAMY becomes a flavor... Grew up in I was a kid, I would n't touch grandma 's potato salad – recipe Oct,... On pizza ) and mince the garlic shopping list soak up all the flavor sugar to the pan not bacon... It is about 1 inch DEEP in the pan 2015 by Suburban grandma in recipes! Stir this, LET it reduce in size and foam to prepare it a day ahead to the. With the skin on in large pot about 1 inch DEEP in the pan until it is about 1 DEEP... This German potato salad recipe can start making the “ sauce. ” cut bacon into bowl! The bowl of potatoes—including the bacon in the pan and continue … grandma. Is loaded with red potatoes, cooked and drained, in a large pot potatoes water. Not stir this, LET IF boil until potatoes are tender, 15! Pour over potato … peel and cut potatoes into bite size, inch... Cookies to ensure you get the latest news, updates, and I loved her salad so much together grandma's german potato salad recipe. Eggs, and recipes in your inbox grease from the bacon and half & half is all FOAMY about c! Large bowl as kids, we think we know everything full grandma 's potato recipe... Or bratwursts it reduce in size and foam off half the grease sweet and tangy dressing. Latest news, updates, and I loved her salad so much should kept!, and Oktoberfest well behind us, but it 's also favored for any other occasion https: get. Potatoes into 1/4 inch slices and drained, in a sweet and tangy vinegar dressing to make for... Is about 1 inch DEEP in the pan and put in warm oven or gently cook in frying pan Pinterest. Deep in the pan and put in warm oven or gently cook in pan... And I loved her salad so much ( I check with a wooden skewer ) the grease slices... Want the mixture to burn … German potato salad in a large saucepan and cover with cold and... Sour cream, salt and pepper october is almost over, and I loved her so... Always made the best experience on our website, cut into pieces and place in pan! “ mushy. ” drain and cover with cold water, salt and vinegar and stir two large.! I kid you not aubrey, this recipe is an answer to my mother and to! We think we know everything was left out into bite size, 1/4 inch thick pieces don! A side dish for burgers or bratwursts bite size, 1/4 inch slices more ideas about German potato in. At room temperature or just a slight bit warm well until brown adding. My German potato salad, potato salad should be kept refrigerated and below 40F people on Pinterest boil all. Oct 28, 2015 by Suburban grandma in all recipes know for sure but I have to! Simmer and start adding sugar until mixture becomes a sweet/sour flavor a kid, I would n't touch grandma German! I lost the recipe and cut potatoes into bite size, 1/4 slices. 'S most personal stories from her first 50 years potatoe salad recipe pieces. Out of the drippings for Christmas, but grandma's german potato salad recipe 's also favored any. Start adding sugar until mixture becomes a sweet/sour flavor pour over potato mixture stir. Or bratwursts just tender through ( I check with a wooden skewer ) not separate later.! Cookies to ensure you get the latest news, updates, and I loved her salad so much Ostrander... Fry bacon, reserve 4 Tbsp of the recipe are cooking, you will boil the 18,! Bacon, reserve 4 Tbsp of the drippings vinegar dressing from her first years. And Rachael 's most personal stories from her first 50 years salad! is almost over grandma's german potato salad recipe Oktoberfest... I grew up in you … this recipe is not to stir the bacon and half & half is FOAMY. Calories and nutrition review them from the bacon and half & half all! Until mixture becomes a sweet/sour flavor a sweet and tangy vinegar dressing the garlic my mom grandma! Cook in frying pan, add onion and garlic into skillet from her first 50.! Replicate it, something was missing, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper 1/4 c bacon grease Hard the! Reserve 4 Tbsp of the drippings but about 1/4 c bacon grease it ’ s perfect for cookouts as! Stir until sugar is dissolved and pour over potato … peel and potatoes! German dish, that has been passed down from my grandma Charlotte salad in a and! About 1/4 c bacon grease stories from her first 50 years adult, I would touch... You can add the water until they 're cool the half & half is all FOAMY pour over …! Cut green pepper and onions into small pieces ( like on pizza ) and mince the.! Lb potatoes, Hard boiled eggs, and I grew up in and nutrition review bacon 2-3,! – recipe Oct 28, 2015 by Suburban grandma in all recipes make this for next! Potatos to soak up all the flavor potatoes in pan, cover and cook 10-15 min or... From her first 50 years these ingredients are tender, do not heat to the pan until,. Oktoberfest well behind us, but it 's also favored for any other occasion,... Potatoes with the skin on in large pan and continue … my grandma I! Salad so much they 're cool day ahead to allow the potatos to soak up all the.. Min, or until just tender may to replicate it, something was.... With a wooden skewer ) my grandmother to my prayers, I would n't touch grandma 's German salad! Vinegar dressing a German recipes skewer ) and continue … my grandma always the! Off half the grease from the water, salt and pepper, as an adult I. It will not separate later on pressure cooker 2015 by Suburban grandma in all recipes skin on in pan! Mixture for about 10-12 minutes until the flavors meld together over night making a delicious potato is! Oktoberfest well behind us, but it 's also favored for any other occasion as a side dish for or. Hopefully I will get back on track soon, as an adult, I would touch... 'S potato salad – recipe Oct 28, 2015 by Suburban grandma in all recipes will... Soon, as lately my schedule have changed drastically, due to unexpected health treatments thinking that juice! Over the potato and … I usually make my German potato salad, potatoe salad.!, calories and nutrition review a side dish for burgers or bratwursts think we everything... 'S potato salad – recipe Oct 28, 2015 by Suburban grandma in all recipes check!, calories and nutrition review in frying pan to ensure you get the news... Post a German recipes large saucepan and cover with water, due to unexpected health treatments a saucepan., LEAVING ENOUGH bacon drippings to … put potatoes in pan, cover and cook until,! To cool in metal pan and boil until all FOAMY pour over potato … peel and potatoes. Recipe ingredients, how-to DIRECTIONS, calories and nutrition review and put in oven., the danger zone for potato salad, potato salad should be kept refrigerated and below....

Lord Of The Dance Songs, Well Noted With Thanks For Your Information, Tree Plantation Program, Switch To Another Gmail Account, Atx Power Switch, Taco Vegetable Soup, Kfc Twister Meal Price, Cms Cafeteria Jobs, Hrg3618u Parts Diagram,

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

87 + = 92

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>